Earthship is a house that is made of both natural and recycled materials, they are designed and marketed by Earthship Biotecture in Taos.
Earthships are primarily designed to work as autonomous buildings using thermal mass construction and a natural cross ventilation that is assisted by thermal draught (Stack effect) to regulate indoor temperature. Earthships are generally quite often considered to be off-the-grid homes, minimizing their reliance on both public utilities and fossil fuels.
They are built to utilize the available local resources, especially energy from the sun. Tall windows and panels on the roof are built on the sun-faced walls.
Reasons I want to built my own earthship:
– It’s as green as you can get without living in a cave in the Woods.
– The green house makes it easy to grow vegetables at summer, and in winter.
– The rainwater harvesting system (a brilliant use and re-use of water).
– The sun panels gives you the electricity you need! It’s cheap and amazing use of natural ressources.
– They are easy to build, a couple from Canada, whom never done this before built their home in three months.
– Not only are they easy to build, they are easy to maintain.
– It’s natural and recycled materials, you can use everything from plastic bottles to car tyres. You can’t (almost) do anything wrong, only use your imagination..
– You will be more independent. You won’t deal as much with the usual worries as electricity, plumbing etc. This is freedom.
– You will gain a beautiful home, and help the environment as well. That is a win-win.
Look how beautiful they are: